After The Ball (My High School Reunion Tale Continues….)

After The Ball.
Well, it IS the Koch family, so you know that the “story” can’t end when the party does…

When the festivities from our reunion were over, we stuck around to help clean up (we finally got out of there about 1:00 in the morning). We were staying with my best friend Becky and her husband; her youngest son and his fiancée had come over with their little girl, Alexandra, to watch Rebecca while the old folks partied. They brought their new kitten, so Rebecca didn’t even know that we were gone 😛

Bright and early Sunday morning, Rebecca woke us up – she wanted to show us the kitten (of course). Alexandra woke up “Granny” and “Papa Dave” as well, so we all dragged our tired selves out of bed. Our muscles aren’t used to that much fun, so much groaning (and consuming of megadoses of painkillers) ensued.

It is a tradition when we visit Becky and Dave that we go out to eat breakfast at Denny’s on the last day of our visit, so we all hopped in our cars and headed out. When we were done, we said our goodbyes, and promised to see each other again real soon.

Since we were in La Porte, I wanted to stop in and visit with my Aunt Imogene and Uncle Johnny – they are getting ready to move from their really cool house into something that doesn’t have quite as many stairs. We had a nice visit with them – I always enjoy having a chance to spend time with both of them.

Aunt Imogene and Uncle Johnny 08.04.2013.
When we finally said our goodbyes, we got on the road to go back home to Fort Worth. There are lots of new toll roads in the Houston area now, so we were able to avoid traffic (even though it was Sunday, there is ALWAYS traffic in Houston….) and we were making pretty good time….

….until I ran over something in the middle of the road.

I saw it just as I came upon it – it was around a curve, so I wasn’t able to see it until the last minute – and I thought I had been able to straddle it. Since it looked flat, I didn’t give it much thought, but apparently it had enough of an “edge” to it to be a problem; I managed to take out not one, but BOTH tires on the driver’s side.

So we had to call AAA to have the van towed to someplace that could replace both tires – on a Sunday. All I can say is, thank goodness for AAA, cell phones, digital maps, and Wal-Mart – otherwise, we might have been stuck in Humble, Texas until Monday morning!

My mom had called while we were driving and was worried about Michelle (she apparently had a cold earlier in the week); we texted her and asked if she would like us to swing by and see her on our way back home – she texted back “Sure!”, so we took a detour to College Station to check up on her.

On our way over to Michelle’s apartment, we noticed that all of the old married student housing – where we spent the early years of our marriage – was in the process of being torn down.  All but one set of apartments in the complex were completely gone; it was kind of sad….. 😦

I think Michelle was happy to see us – we took her to get a new mattress pad while we were there, and we gave her some money for groceries (she didn’t ask for it; we just wanted to do it for her). We also met her new girlfriend, Chantal, who is a very nice young lady.

We’re so proud of Michelle – she is working very hard and is doing her best to be self-sufficient. She said they are training her to be a supervisor at her job, which means an increase in pay.  She says it’s not much, but every little bit helps!

We finally got on the road, and made it home around 11:00 p.m. – it only took us 11 hours to make it from La Porte to Fort Worth…..


About Teresa in Fort Worth, TX

A short, fat, over-the-hill, happily-married mother of 4 daughters. I know just enough to get myself in trouble....
This entry was posted in Family, Humor, Just Because, Messin' with my kids, Texas and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to After The Ball (My High School Reunion Tale Continues….)

  1. Pingback: “Who Invited All of These Old People?” | Koch's Tour

  2. Sandra says:

    Madly waving at Aunt Imogene and Uncle Johnny!

    We’ve had many interesting trips to the Houston area over the past 30 years and have learned to avoid Madisonville (the Bermuda Triangle of I-45.) We have experienced a blown engine, an exploded battery and various car problems in its cursed city limits.

    Lesson learned.
    Other towns boast DQ, the patron saint of Texas road trips.


  3. John and I look like the sleepy ones. Our age is really showing! Our packing is going fairly well and we still have two weeks to discard.

    Paralyzed Vets of Texas were prompt for a pickup last Thursday. That box was heavy with odds and ends. They have called us once a month this year and we appreciate their prompt response and leaving the notification of the pickup.


    • Believe it or not, I was wide awake in that picture – the Myasthenia makes my eyes look “droopy” all the time (when Mom was here visiting recently, she’d always look over at me and ask, “Are you tired?” Nope, that’s just the MG, Mom….)

      Glad the packing is going well, and that you are able to give what you no longer need to such a great organization ♥♥♥


Leave a Reply (Please be nice - my mom reads my blog!)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s